sheryl's she shed

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

sheryl's she shed

Postby bobhenry » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:25 pm

I am not allowed to call it a she shed in front of the landlady. It is the "WORKSHOP" but it will be a stained glass studio and wood working shop. (Works for me) She has more and better stationary power tools than I do and I can use them :D . We put in 5 hours with 3 of us and have the post and beam floor system in and level. It will be 16 x20 and a 3/4 wood floor and standard 2x4 wall framing to 8 foot. A 12 / 12 shingled roof with collar ties at 3 foot up in the trusses will give an almost 11 foot ceiling height. Here I am with a not quite finished caboose ,an almost finished Depot,an outside remote wood stove building that still needs a roof and ducting to the two tiny's, and a step van that needs a interior done :oops: It is a darn good thing I am 10 days away from full retirement I got to much work to do to be working :? Pictures are in the camera ( coming soon)
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Re: sheryl's she shed

Postby bobhenry » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:49 am

Here are the pics......

The neighbors had an old electric pole replaced and I asked if I could salvage it ?
We cut it into six 5 foot pieces. Here is a small chunk left over....Image

The 5 foot chunks were sunk 3+ feet and cemented in with 2 bags of concrete and aggregate and then notched and trimmed. The notches left a shoulder for the 2x10 ribbon boards....Image

After 5 hours of moving holes and measuring and re-measuring here is the end results. In this picture it is hard to tell but there is about 25 feet between the tractor barn and the new shed.... Image

We are 3/8 th of an inch off of square on the new 16 x 20 building. I called it a small miracle.

There are intermediate legs still to be added and I need to trench in a power line from the tractor barn but for 5 hours of work I am more than happy with the results.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby RJ Howell » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:52 am

bobhenry wrote: It is a darn good thing I am 10 days away from full retirement I got to much work to do to be working :?

Oh can I relate! I wonder how I accomplished anything before retirement.. :lol: I also no longer question why I felt so tired before..
RJ Howell
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:38 pm

Well the crack crew landed at 9AM and by 1 PM we had measured and marked for the 5 missing post holes. We disassembled the box and center beam to get them out of the way of the tractor and auger. Now with the holes punched we reassembled the outer ring and reinstalled the center beam. We put in the eight not quite 8 foot 2x10's at 4 foot on center between the center beam and the outer 20 foot sides.We then installed the posts in the holes and cemented them in. There were 8 remaining support post of which 5 were to rest on a smaller existing concrete pad and 3 had to be placed in shallow post holes that were hand dug. Each intersection of the frame had either a support leg or a 2x4 reinforcing block added to eliminate any twist and gain added strength at the connection. We then placed 40 of the 60 2x4 joist hangers in place and cut and just dropped in place 20 of the 30 smaller support members that run joist to joist. The land lady decided she wanted a bug barrier at the very bottom of the "sandbox" so we ripped and haloed the bottom of each 4x8 bay with 2" deep ripped 1x2's to support some zip panel that still need to be cut to fit and dropped in with the fiberglass face downward and the R-5 foam insulation upward into the joist cavity. If I can wrangle some scrap foam from work I will toss it in under the floor decking. I will liberally sprinkle a couple boxes of borax that bugs and critters do not like. I used it in the Depot build and almost 2 years later have yet to see a crawly bug inside. After the barrier is in place I will hopefully have the 3/4 plywood decking coated with two coats of polar seal and ready to screw in place. Next week is the walls. I have to corner the design committee ( the land lady) and get the windows and doors selected and decide where they are to be placed and we are ready to go ! I will get some pictures Monday !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels