square back rough draft drawing

Member designs created in Sketchup or other cad program

square back rough draft drawing

Postby bobed » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:28 pm

I have been playing around with a design that will work on my old pop-up trailer and would allow 3-4 people to sleep. I am a little concerned about this being rear heavy. I plan to put my water holding tank, propane and batteries in the front but not sure if that will be enough. Any thoughts?
Attachments
TRAILER SIDE VIEW.pdf
(20.46 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
bobed
Teardrop Inspector

Re: square back rough draft drawing

Postby Aguyfromohio » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:27 pm

At a glance the proportions look to have the wheels a bit further forward than most teardrops, so I see why you ask.
If you put all those heavy items at the very front of the cabin it will likely be OK.

You might be wise to have a plan B in mind if you end up too light on the hitch ball, like moving the battery out into a hitch box, so you don't need to move the axle back on a finished trailer.
It's seriously important for safety have 10 to 15 % of total trailer weight on the ball.
Last edited by Aguyfromohio on Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby bobed » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:34 pm

I was hoping to have the door where I could climb in next to the mattress to help keep dirt off the bed but the more I think about it I am thinking about moving everything up and cutting the back of the trailer off to get my proportions more tongue heavy. I feel like that would be easier for me to do then move the axle. I have experienced towing a trailer that was loaded back heavy and man was that a scary experience.
bobed
Teardrop Inspector

Postby RJ Howell » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:23 pm

Great site for helping locating your axle position. No need to guess.

https://mechanicalelements.com/trailer-axle-position/
RJ Howell
The 300 Club

Return to Sketch up designs